Are you a proud owner of the Canon EOS R camera? Are you looking for ways to enhance your photography skills and make the most out of this remarkable piece of technology? Look no further! In this blog, we will explore some valuable Canon EOS R camera settings that will help you unleash your creativity and capture stunning images. From adjusting exposure and white balance to utilizing the autofocus capabilities effectively, we will delve into the various settings and guide you on how to optimize them for different shooting scenarios. So, grab your camera, and let’s dive into the world of Canon EOS R camera settings!
My Canon EOS R Camera Settings
Welcome to another video, where I will be sharing my Canon EOS R camera settings with you all. As photographers, we face numerous obstacles such as weather conditions, lighting challenges, and subjects to work with. Hence, it’s crucial for our cameras to be an extension of our arm, eye, and creativity. When I got my EOS R, the first thing I did was customize the settings to make everything more efficient and accessible, avoiding the need to dig through menus and press unnecessary buttons. Let’s dive into the menu settings to see what I changed.
Menu Tab 1: Image Quality and Review
In the first menu tab, I always shoot in RAW format. I find shooting JPEGs unnecessary as I never use them. Compressed RAW is an option, which I haven’t found a reason not to use yet. However, since I have ample storage space, I stick to shooting full RAW. For image review, I set a 2-second delay to quickly check if everything looks good right after taking the shot.
Menu Tab 2: Lens Aberration Correction
In this tab, I leave all the lens aberration correction settings off, except for chromatic correction and diffraction correction. As I use a lot of third-party lenses, not all of them are compatible with these correction options.
Menu Tab 3: Auto Lighting Optimizer and White Balance
I turn off auto lighting optimizer and highlight tone priority in this tab. For white balance, I usually use the auto setting with white priority option as it provides better results in my opinion.
Menu Tab 4: Picture Profile and Noise Reduction
Picture profile settings do not matter when shooting RAW, as it doesn’t embed any information into the file. However, if you need to show the images on the camera’s screen, the picture profile will determine their appearance. In terms of noise reduction, I keep long exposure noise reduction and high ISO speed noise reduction off.
Menu Tab 5: Touch Shutter and Auto Focus
I prefer to disable touch shutter as it can lead to unintentional focusing and capturing of images. Instead, I want control over when to focus and take the shot. In the autofocus section, I primarily use one-shot mode for landscapes and stationary subjects. I limit the AF methods to only face and eye tracking, along with single point focus. This speeds up the switching between autofocus settings and reduces confusion.
Menu Tab 6: Playback Settings
In the playback menu, I only change one setting on the third tab, which is the magnification level when reviewing images. By default, it zooms in two times, but I prefer zooming in four times to ensure better focus and image quality.
Menu Tab 7: Additional Settings
In this tab, I haven’t made any changes, as it is focused on additional customizations and personal preferences. I recommend experimenting with these settings to find what suits you best.
That concludes a walkthrough of my Canon EOS R camera settings. Feel free to pause, rewind, or review any section you may have missed. Remember, these settings reflect my personal preferences, and it’s crucial to customize them based on your shooting style and needs. Happy shooting!
Frequently Asked Questions – My Canon EOS R Camera Settings
1. How do I adjust the ISO on my Canon EOS R camera?
To adjust the ISO settings on your Canon EOS R camera, follow these steps:
- Turn on your camera and navigate to the shooting mode.
- Press the “ISO” button on the top right side of the camera.
- Use the control dial or touch-screen to select the desired ISO value.
- Press the “SET” button to confirm the selection.
2. How can I change the Aperture settings on my Canon EOS R?
To change the aperture settings on your Canon EOS R camera, follow these steps:
- Set your camera to the aperture priority mode (Av mode) on the mode dial.
- Rotate the main dial to adjust the desired aperture value. On some lenses, there might be an aperture ring that you can directly use to change the aperture.
- Check the camera’s viewfinder or LCD screen to see the updated aperture value.
3. How do I enable the autofocus (AF) feature on my Canon EOS R camera?
To enable autofocus on your Canon EOS R camera, you can follow these steps:
- Switch your camera to the AF mode using the dedicated switch on the lens or a setting in the camera’s menu.
- Ensure that the AF/MF switch on the lens is set to AF.
- Press halfway down on the shutter release button to activate autofocus.
- The camera will automatically focus on the subject within the selected AF points.
4. How can I change the white balance settings on my Canon EOS R?
For adjusting white balance settings on your Canon EOS R, follow these steps:
- Press the “Q” button to display the quick control screen.
- Select the white balance icon, usually represented by a WB symbol.
- Use the control dial or touch-screen to navigate and select the desired white balance preset or custom temperature value.
- Press the “SET” button to confirm the new white balance setting.
5. How do I change the shooting mode on my Canon EOS R camera?
To change the shooting mode on your Canon EOS R camera, follow these steps:
- Turn on your camera and locate the mode dial usually on the top left side.
- Rotate the mode dial to select the desired shooting mode such as Program (P), Shutter Priority (Tv), Aperture Priority (Av), Manual (M), etc.
- Check the camera’s LCD screen or viewfinder to confirm the selected shooting mode.
I hope you find useful my article My Canon EOS R Camera Settings, I also recommend you to read my other posts in my blog at this link.
If you need help with anything join the community or do not hesitate to contact me.
Best of luck! and follow your passion.
Please consider joining my newsletter or following me on social media if you like my content.